Some students prefer to take online classes over face to face classes. There are pros and con's to each. When enrolled in online classes, the student needs to have a large amount of self discipline. You have to have the power to sit in front of a computer and actually do the work instead of watching your favorite shows on TV. Granted, you do get to wear pj's and sit in your bed on a laptop. I personally think it is easier for me to get up, get ready and drive to school to sit in a face to face class. At least that way I am not tempted to skip classes because I am already at the school. I think it takes a special kind of person to be enrolled in online classes and actually do well in them.
It has been reported that retention rates for online classes is about 20% lower than face to face classes. Although online classes have become much more popular over the last decade, they are actually hurting the overall retention rates. Some may say that a student is able to learn more when being talked to face to face in a classroom setting. When taking online classes, it is more reading and doing all of your studying on your own. At least when you are in a classroom and you do not understand something, the teacher is right there to point, speak and help you work it out. The online classes gives you the ability to ask questions but you have to wonder if it is as effective through a computer screen.
I suppose it is all about preference. Some people may think that they have the discipline to take online classes but then they end up getting bored and they stop doing the work. When taking online classes, there are so many possible distractions (TV, Friends, family, etc) making it hard to sit at a computer for an hour for a class. Although I do prefer sitting in a classroom and being face to face with my peers and the teacher, I do believe that online classes will continue to become more and more popular as the years go on.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment