Working at the New York State Tax Department made things much easier for me. My relationship with my family was getting better, I was able to pay all of my bills on time with no problems at all, I even had some extra spending money sometimes. I was an eighteen year old, on my own, paying my own bills and taking care of myself. All of my friends were still going to school and they had part time jobs. I thought I was above all of them because I was so young making so much more money than them. As the year went by, my relationship with the guy I was living with started it's steady downhill slope. Eventually we broke up and I decided to move back to my parents house.
As many of my friends continued pursuing their degrees, I continued working full time. Without even realizing it, time flew by. My friends that went to college were graduating and starting their careers with their college degrees. Now my position did not seem as grand as it had before. I started thinking that maybe I should look into going back to school and getting a degree. Although it was always in the back of my head, I kept working and never went back to school.
In 2008, I started talking to my friend's brother. He is an engineer working for Toyota. His family was from the same area of upstate New York that I was from. He and I hit it off, but the only issue was he was living in California working for a Toyota plant out there. This was only a temporary thing. In July of 2009 he was permanently placed at the Toyota plant in Georgetown, KY. At this point he and I were item and I was faced with a choice, I could either stay in New York and continue our long distance relationship or I could move to Kentucky with him. I had never lived outside of New York, or more than ten minutes away from my mother's house. I decided that this guy was pretty amazing and I though that there was huge potential for a future between us so, I went for it! On 4th of July weekend 2009, He and I packed my things and moved to Lexington, KY. Kentucky was a complete culture shock for me, being that I was from upstate New York. It was at that time that I knew a new chapter in my life was about to begin.
It was the move to Kentucky that made me start thinking about my future and what I wanted with my life. I decided that it was the perfect opportunity for me to go back to school and pursue a career that I was really interested in. I started getting all of my ducks in a row and I enrolled in Bluegrass Community and Technical College for the spring 2010 semester. I am now pursuing a career in dental hygiene.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment